You can sing the words to The 12 Days of Christmas, but how would you do in a real test of holiday trivia? Let’s find out. Answers and scoring are below:
- Who wrote A Christmas Carol?
- What was the first holiday cartoon on television?
- What year was The Night Before Christmas written?
- Who is Rudolph’s father?
- What gifts did the Wise Men bring to the manger?
- Who was Bing Crosby’s unlikely partner for a duet of The Little Drummer Boy?
- Who performed The Hanukkah Song?
- A co-star of the movie White Christmas was the aunt of one of today’s biggest celebrities. Name aunt and nephew.
- Who narrated How the Grinch Stole Christmas?
- Staying with the Grinch, the late Thurl Ravenscroft earned pop culture fame as the singer of the Grinch song. But what else is Mr. Ravenscroft known for?
- Which holiday song is considered the top-selling single of all time?
- What is the hottest holiday song today?
- What percent of the U.S. population is Christian?
- Which of Rocky Balboa’s fights took place on Christmas Day?
- Which popular song was actually written for Thanksgiving?
- What significant event happened on Christmas Day 1776?
- What crusty icon did Eddie Murphy play in a Saturday Night Live holiday skit?
- More than half of shoppers surveyed say they’ve bought which of the following gifts this year: toys, electronics, clothing, or gift cards?
- This Hollywood legend was born on December 25, 1899. Hint: the 1980s song Key Largo shares its name with one of his movies.
- In the 1990 hit movie Home Alone, where was the McCallister family planning to spend the holidays?
- Charles Dickens published A Christmas Carol in 1843.
- Mr. Magoo’s version of A Christmas Carol is believed to be the first televised holiday cartoon. It aired in 1962. The cartoon starred Jim Backus, best known as Thurston Howell III on Gilligan’s Island.
- The Night Before Christmas was first published in 1823.
- Rudolph’s father is Donner.
- The Wise Men brought gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
- David Bowie teamed with Bing Crosby to sing The Little Drummer Boy.
- Comedian Adam Sandler performed The Hanukkah Song.
- The late Rosemary Clooney, aunt of George Clooney, co-starred in White Christmas.
- Boris Karloff, best known for roles in horror movies, narrated How The Grinch Stole Christmas.
- In addition to the Grinch song, Mr. Ravenscroft was the voice of Kellogg’s Tony the Tiger, and also sang the Headless Horseman song in Disney’s The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
- Bing Crosby’s 1942 version of White Christmas is considered by many to be the top-selling single of all time.
- According to Billboard, Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas is currently the most popular holiday song.
- According to a Gallup poll, 78 percent of Americans say they are Christian.
- Rocky fought Soviet boxer Ivan Drago in on Christmas Day in 1985’s Rocky IV.
- Jingle Bells was written for a Thanksgiving event at a Georgia church.
- The Continental Army, let by George Washington, crossed the Delaware River on December 25, 1776 to attack Hessian troops in Trenton, New Jersey.
- Eddie Murphy played the Gumby in the SNL skit. This Gumby, however, was quite different from the character in the popular children’s show that ran from 1955 – 1989.
- According to the National Retail Federation, 53 percent of shoppers have purchased clothing and accessories to place under the three this year, making it the top category, followed by books/CDs/videos, and toys.
- Humphrey Bogart was born on Christmas Day, 1899.
- In Home Alone, the family was traveling to France.
15 – 20 Correct: Santa is saving a seat in his sleigh for you
10 – 14 Correct: Elf
5 – 9 Correct: Island of Misfit Toys
Less than 5: Scrooge